Some of you know that soon - I will be getting braces. In fact, in just over a week I will get my top braces put on. I went last week and my orthodontist put the separators in my back, top molars - to basically stretch them out. Yes - I mean stretch. They told me the pain is worse for adults ... thank you mom! Today is actually the 6th day and my teeth still hurt.
The reason for the braces is because - I have a baby tooth that is not yet fallen out and a permanent tooth that grew in the wrong spot. My baby tooth has recently become loose and so therefore my dentist thinks I should be pro-active about taking care of it (would hate to be walking around toothless - definitely not pretty). After much thought, freaking out, more thought, more freaking out, lots of conversations with anyone who would listen - I decided to get braces.
I go into my dentist on Wednesday of this week to get 2 filings that I need, a wisdom tooth pulled and my baby tooth pulled (all on the top). I have been concerned about getting my baby tooth pulled and having lots of time being toothless. I know, I know - probably doesn't seem like a big deal ... but it really is. It's in the front of my smile and will definitely be noticeable. Luckily, I am a SAHM, don't see many people and can skate through the week before I get my top braces put on. My orthodontist said he would like a week in between the extractions and when he puts the braces on. So - on April 9, I will get my top braces put on. And then hopefully, soon after I will get the bottom. He says I shouldn't have to wait long and I'm counting on that. The quicker I get them on - the quicker I get them off.
I think I am excited about the end result of braces. It will be nice to have straight teeth - but I never thought at my age, I would get them. I guess I figured that baby tooth would stay in forever. After all it's been 34 years. I realized (in all my conversations w/myself and everyone else) that it's better to get them now - then have braces when I'm 50 or when one or all three of my son's get them. The orthodontist says that my overlapping permanent tooth is hereditary, so one or all could have the same problem.
My orthodontist says my treatment should be about 24 months or less. I'm counting on the less. I hope all goes well and it's not too painful for me.
March 2025
1 year ago



No comments:
Post a Comment