Wednesday, August 12, 2009

50 years and counting!

On August 28, 2009 my wonderful parents will celebrate their 50th Wedding Anniversary. And on August 29, 2009 David and I are honored to be hosting a celebration for them. My parents will be surrounded by 100 of their family and friends - and they couldn't be happier.
As the day gets closer - I get a little choked up. I am thinking about what this day means to them - and what it means to me. As a daughter - I feel so special that my parents loved me enough to stay together so that I would have a safe, stable home environment. I am the youngest of 5 children - so my parents were actually my age when they had me. As a mother and a wife - I am thankful that my mother was a great role model for me to emulate. Although - I do wish she had taught me to cook (and so does David : ).
People always say 'you look like your mom or your dad.' I have been thinking what characteristics of me come from my mother and my father. My parents are two different people - complete opposites (much like David and I).
My father is compassionate, kind, caring, trusting. He hasn't met a stranger - he loves to laugh and be the center of everyone's attention. I take the out-going characteristics from my dad. I, too, have all the qualities that he has but I am not as trusting as he is. I am fair, but just more guarded.
My mother is kind and caring. She is out-spoken and direct. She is not afraid to speak her mind. She is trusting, but guarded. I get my out-spoken, direct characteristics from her. Out of 5 children, and the last, I am the only one who possesses this characteristic. I am not afraid to stand up and speak my mind and I will stand for what I believe in - much like my mother.
As the date gets closer - I knew that I wanted to make their invitation as special as their party. They came over and I took them next door to our neighbors and took some photos outside their pool. It was full-sun and hot. I took down some of their pool fencing and got stung by a bee on my behind (something I will always remember). Nice, huh? The pictures turned out good - my parents were pretty much done after one photo. Afterall, I only needed one picture, right? Wrong! These are memories we are capturing - I wanted as many special moments as I could get my hands on.
As the planning is going strong - my mom is excited. She's helping me plan and giving me her input. This is the reception she didn't have. My parents will re-new their wedding vows, cut their anniversary cake, and make a toast to the committment they've shared and the next 50 years that we pray they will continue to share.
I wanted to share these special memories and let my parents know how truly proud I am of them and how much I admire their love and dedication for one another. This truly is a moment I hope they never forget.
front of card:


back of card:

No comments: