Will has been having 'stomach issues' for about a year now. It has not been consistent - just randomly throughout the year. A few weekends ago - his stomach started hurting and hurt consistently all weekend. On Sunday, he told me that he may have swallowed a rock at school on Friday. He wasn't real sure and couldn't remember - but thought he did. I wasn't sure if he did or didn't - but the pain was pretty bad.
Sunday evening - I took him to the Urgent Care and they did an x-ray. The x-ray looked normal - no traces of a rock.
Monday morning - he had a check-up with his pulmonologist. So I told him about the stomach pains. He wasn't sure what might be causing it, but thought I should take him to see a GI doctor (luckily I had already made an appointment for Wednesday).
Monday afternoon - we went to the pediatrician. I called them hoping there was some miracle medicine they could give him for the pain. She said she definitely needed to see him. She said "there was nothing else she could do - I needed to see the GI doctor." Seriously?
Wednesday afternoon - I took him to the GI Doctor. He saw this same doctor as a baby when he had reflux and the swallowing issue that he had. The doctor asked if I had tried prevacid - thinking it was reflux. I had and it had no affect on him. He said he needs to do a scope to see if there is an actual rock or something else causing the pain.
Monday morning - I took Will at 6:30 am to get his scope done. It was a fast procedure. The scope was normal. He said everything looked great, except his stomach was overproducing acid. Since we had already tried the prevacid and his pain wasn't constant. He gave me a prescription for Carafate. I am to give it to him when he has pain - so it coats his stomach. If the medication isn't effective - we'll have to go in for more tests. Hopefully, this does the trick. A combination of the medicine and avoiding juice, ketchup, tomato paste. Will isn't real happy about the juice and ketchup - but hopefully it's just temporary.
March 2025
1 year ago



No comments:
Post a Comment