Monday, October 12, 2009

Will's surgery (a scope)

I didn't explain to Will what he was having done. I didn't tell him that he was having surgery or even that he would get an IV. He is very much afraid of pain and very emotional when it comes to things like this. So I told him that they were going to take a picture of his stomach. I left it at that - and he was ok with it.

We got to the surgery center (thank goodness he can't read : ) at 7:30 am. We checked in and they took him back pretty fast.

They gave him a DVD player and let him pick out a movie. His movie of choice: Polar Express (one of his favorites).


Getting ready to go back and get the surgery done. He doesn't look happy, does he?



Back in the surgery room. They told him to "blow up a balloon". This would happen by him putting on a mask and inhaling the sleepy medicine. He stopped half way through and said "I don't want to do it anymore." The doctor said "a few more times." Once more and then he was out. They looked at me and said "Ok, mom - see you in a bit." It was so difficult to watch him go under the anesthesia. I definitely had a hard time leaving him there.

I shut off my flash for these pictures (should of adjusted other settings - but no time) - because they had Halloween lights on the wall. It was really cool.




After surgery.... still alittle asleep. They gave him a "pink" popsicle (as requested). He had a hard time eating it, but he did finish it : )


Alittle more awake - but freeeeeezzzzzzing


Back at home. Laying on the couch eating a frozen gogurt.


On the way home - he noticed the bandaid on his hand and asked what it was for. I tried to change the subject. He said "why does it hurt when I push on it?" I told him what really happened. That the blowing up of the balloon was really sleepy medicine, the bandaid on his hand was from an IV, the procedure was surgery and they put a tiny camera down his throat to look into his stomach." From that moment on - he kept saying "I can't do that - I had surgery. You have to do this, because I had surgery." Nice - huh? Totally worked it to his advantage.

The doctor said he would lay around all day and be tired. NOT SO! She said no activity that required balance until tomorrow morning. He kept sneaking onto his scooter when he went outside to play with daddy and his friends. Boys! Boys!

The surgery was a success! The surgery center was fantastic! From the moment we walked in - it was geared towards kids. A very fun, kid-decorated place. It was all to make the kids as comfortable as possible - and it definitely worked. Will was very Brave!

No comments: