Thursday, November 12, 2009

Beloved Pet and Friend .... Fluffy



Today after 20 WONDERFUL years - I put my sweet cat, Fluffy, to sleep. A year ago, she was diagnosed with mild kidney Failure - which means her kidney's were only working 25%. And unfortunately - they had no idea how fast or slow the disease would progress. Over the last month, my sweet Fluffy started getting very sick. Not only was her kidney disease progressing - but she had an abscess on some of her teeth that was causing her pain. She stopped eating because of her kidneys and the teeth.

She was hospitalized overnight in order to stabilize her while we waited for the bloodtests. It was worse than we thought. Her levels were dangerously high and we knew she was suffering - something I never wanted for my dear sweet girl.

The decision was hard - but I knew I had to let her go. I went to the vet and spent several hours with her before putting her to sleep. I could tell she was very sick. And I am not sure - but I almost think maybe she didn't recognize me. Which is something they say is a symptom when their levels are that high. I talked to her, petted her, and just loved on her. I tried to make myself feel good about this decision. But I was so heartbroken.

I had her cremanted and her ashes given back to me. I look at that box and can't believe that's all I have left of her. My heart is so sad. I know time will heal - but I am really struggling with not having her. This all happened so fast for me and wasn't something I thought I would be doing anytime soon.

I got Fluffy when I was 14 years old. Someone gave her to my brother, Christopher. She was a tiny kitten and she attached herself to me and became mine.

She had a wonderful personality and brought me so much joy! She will be greatly and forever missed!

No comments: