Sunday, November 29, 2009

H1N1

On Sunday, Ben and Will both woke up with a low-grade fever and had it most of the day. 99.5 for Ben and 100.5 for Will. Will also woke up with a dry cough. I called Will's pulmonologist and he told me to keep an eye on him and call back should his fever go up. On Sunday evening - sometime in the night, Will ended up in our bed. Around 5:30 am - he started coughing. But his cough was different, it was more wet. He was tossing and turning. I reached over and felt of his forehead and he was burning up. I took his temp and it was 104.2. I gave him tylenol, put a feverall patch on his head, started his breathing treatment and called the pulmonologist. He immediately called in tamiflu and said i should give him a dose of Motrin and watch him.

At 9am - the pulmonologist office called me and said they had a 10:30 appt and he needed to come in. At the doctors office - Will didn't have a fever and didn't seem to be sick! He was bouncing off the walls. They did the flu swap and it was definitely positive for H1N1. They gave him a breathing treatment, a dose of tylenol, his tamiflu dose (which I brought with me) and sent us home w/a plan for the upcoming days.

On Tuesday morning, Andy woke up with a low-grade fever (99.5). I called the pediatrician and got an appt. for him. They did the flu swap on him. They said it was positive - but just barely. He was in the first 24 hours. Thankfully - I took him in early. They prescribed Tamiflu for him and then also for Ben - to prevent him from getting it.

Luckily our family had the H1N1 vaccine on October 14. The boys had their first dose (still need the 2nd). Will and Andy didn't seem to feel bad really. There were a few times where they seemed a little down. On Monday - Will acted a little sick, and on Tuesday - Andy did. But other than that - there really wasn't much downtime for them. They both got a little cough and sounded hoarse on day 3. But that really was all there was to it.

So far Ben hasn't caught it. I'm praying he doesn't. He's had a little cough - and they've all had a junky nose.

No comments: