Saturday, August 13, 2011

A Sign!

I have been watching "Switched at Birth". It's a new series on the Family Channel that comes on Monday nights. It's about 2 girls who were switched at birth and one of them happens to be deaf. So on this show - there's a lot of speaking in sign. And the girl who is deaf on the show, Daphne, reads lips well but in most cases has a confused look on her face b/c everyone is talking to fast for her to read their lips. So she misses most of their conversation. I can see the frustration in her face, but never really could imagine how she (or any other deaf person) must feel when around hearing people. It's really a great, great show. I am enjoying it.

I have always been fascinated w/sign language. And I have always ALWAYS wanted to learn - but never did. I taught all 3 of my children sign language when they were born. It was simple signs that we learned from a book. Such as milk, eat, more, bed, tired, etc. It was a life-saver for us. Especially with Ben. He was our first and we were really unsure and didn't know how to fully understand what he needed. So teaching him to sign - really took out all of the guessing for us. He learned it quickly and loved doing it.

After the kids could talk, the signs fell to the waist side. There was no need for them. But in the back of mind - I've always thought someday I would learn.

So, yesterday - I am at Wal-mart looking at air fresheners and such. This girl walks up next to me and is looking at them too. She picks up one that I have used and I start to talk to her (b/c that's how I am : ) and tell her how great it is, and how nice it smells, etc. I'm just talking and talking until she taps me on the shoulder and points to her ear. She was Deaf! In that very moment, I felt like a complete idiot. An idiot b/c I couldn't communicate w/her. She was young, pregnant, seemed very sweet and trying hard to communicate w/me and understand what I was saying, about air fresheners, nonetheless. I stood there for 5 minutes pointing and making motion w/my hands - that I or she had no idea what I was saying. At that moment - when all I could hear was silence - I knew how Daphne, and all other deaf people, must feel. I looked at her and just waved bye and walked away. I felt terrible, defeated. So sad that I couldn't communicate w/her.

I know, that will probably never happen to me again - b/c it's the first time it has. But it was then that I decided it was time for me to learn to Sign.

No comments: