Yesterday, there was a pretty devastating tornado in Joplin, MO. They said on the news that it was the worst deadliest tornado storm in 60 years. And so far this year - we have had 1000 tornadoes as opposed to the average of 500 we typically have by now. Unfortunately, tornado season isn't over and they are predicting more deadly tornadoes this season.
We have more storms tonight and even worse coming tomorrow night. Once I watched the coverage on TV about Joplin and got the stats - I knew I had to prepare the boys. If, there is a way to be prepared. I just didn't want us to have an emergency and have to take cover from a Tornado and everyone be freaking out. After all, we have 5 family members and 3 dogs. And everyone has to be safe!
After dinner, I decided to do a practice run through. I talked to the boys and told them the plan. Ben, of course, acted silly. And was worried about saving his series of "How to Train a Dragon" books. Only Ben : ) Will, was worried, interested and wanted to listen. And as always, Andy followed Will's lead.
After looking in the attic, to verify that the air conditioner wasn't over the boys bathroom (wouldn't want that falling on us) - we determined it was the safest spot. So, the boys and dogs piled in the bathtub. Ralf was freaked out by the storms, he was happy to get close and cuddle. Teddy was in the bathtub, but jumped out. And Kuma was laying on the floor next to the bathtub.
![]() |
| Will, Andy, Ben and Ralf |
I don't know what it would be like if (God forbid) an actual tornado did hit (and I pray I never do). But I assume, we would get a mattress to lay on top of us all and protect from the glass mirror in the bathroom. Get the dogs on leashes. And have the boys and dogs get in the bathtub. And then, I'm sure - David and I would be laying on top of the boys and the dogs.
I was in a couple of tornadoes when I was younger. One I remember specifically - ripped the roof off of our mobile home and crumbled it in the neighbors house behind ours. The good thing is that I didn't realize what had happened - I woke up to water leaking on me. (I should ask Misty if she remembers that. She remembers everything : )
David asked me tonight what I would want to save in an emergency (tornado, fire, etc.)? It didn't take me long to know. I love my worldly possessions, but all I would worry about is my husband, my 3 sons, my 3 dogs, my wedding ring and my external hard drive. All of my boys pictures from their entire life is on my external drive and therefore makes it the most important worldly possession that I own. Of course, other important practical things would be purse, wallet, keys to car, shoes, cell phone.




No comments:
Post a Comment