Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Getting Older

Okay - let's be honest. Who is freaked out about getting Older? If you haven't reached 35 - probably not quite yet. But the minute you hit 35 - the worry comes.

I turned 36 this year and I can't even believe it. Just like I thought my 20 year old cat would live forever, I thought I would never turn 35. I thought I would be in my 20's forever. Well, turns out - forever is alot shorter than I thought.

So today after I dropped off Ben and Will at school, I started running some numbers in my head:

Hypothetically .....

If Ben gets married and has his first child at 25: my age will be 53, add 10 years and that's David's age - 63.
If Will gets married and has his first child at 25: my age will be 55, add 10 years and that's David's age - 65.

and here's the kicker....

If Andy gets married and has his first child at 25: my age will be 58, that's right .... add 10 years and David is .... 68.

If you didn't have to worry about the whole 'getting older' business, I would tell my boys to wait till they are 30 to get married and 35 to have kids. Because really - we all know in most cases, people who get married young - get a divorce and those that marry later, typically stay married. This isn't always the case - but it's been true in my research. Not to mention, you hope at 30 and 35 they have more job and life stability.

So, if Andy has his first child at age 25 - David will be almost 70. Wow! People say 70 is still young. But holy cow - really? At 70 - can you get on the floor and wrestle and play? I want he and I to be ACTIVE with our grandkids.

So - that brings me back to what age should my kids get married (pretending like I have control :) ... I am now thinking it should be young - like 22. I would have never wanted to get married that young - and it's not what I really recommend, but if they don't - I may not be around for my grandkids - much less enjoy them. And I really want grandkids.

And what if it doesn't all happen at age 25 for them??? What then? Then we are REALLY old!

I am now thinking David and I should of gotten married when we met at age 20 & 30 and had kids then. That would have been a much better scenario (age wise)......

Okay - I am done rambling ..... It's time for some changes....

No comments: