Thursday, January 6, 2011

Saying Good-bye

It's never easy, especially when she is one of the greatest women I will ever know. I am sad that today we laid my sweet, Nanny, to rest. But I am thankful that she is free from pain and suffering. Probably the last 6 months of her life wasn't a quality life. And that's no way for anyone (especially her) to live.

We had the viewing on Tuesday evening. David helped me make a DVD slideshow for the funeral. I gathered all the pictures I could, we worked with the funeral home and got it done. I blew up some pictures that I had of my Nanny and I think it all turned out great. I think it truly honored her. I got to the funeral home early to work w/the funearl audio guy and get everything set up. In all this ... in all the work and planning, I didn't stop to think this was a Visitation for my Nanny. I got everything set up and then I turned around and there she was. Man - it hit me hard. I hadn't thought about what all this meant.  

The Funeral was (yesterday) Wednesday afternoon. Funeral's are always so difficult. I really dislike seeing people in the casket. My Nanny didn't look like herself. She had lost so much weight - it really didn't look like her at all. I almost wish people would choose to leave the casket closed during the entire funeral. It's always so troubling for loved ones anyways. This is definitely not something I want for myself when I die. I want to donate my organs and be cremnated.

The only positive thing (if there is such a thing) about the funeral was that I got to see my family. Facebook has been awesome, but it was great to reconnect with people I hadn't seen in sometime. Tuesday night a bunch of us went to Texas Roadhouse for dinner after the viewing. It was so refreshing to hang out w/my family. And then yesterday, after the funeral, the same group went to El Fenix for lunch. I am so thankful for my family. I love them so much. And I don't get to see them near enough.

We didn't snap a photo at Texas Roadhouse, sadly.
This is from El Fenix. My Aunt Linda and her husband had already left so we missed them in the photo.

Everytime we get together, we vow to do it more. This time we will. I will plan some things through the year - so that we are sure to get together. Waiting for a funeral is not acceptable. Especially when your family is as great as mine!

I will forever miss my Nanny! My heart breaks for her passing. She was such a great, spirited woman.

I love you Nanny.

No comments: