Friday, June 20, 2008

Have you met Muffy?


On Mother's Day we were out for a family walk and came across a dog who was just about to walk behind a moving car. I was able to get the dog to come to me. She had tags, so we called the number - walked her around the neighborhood and tried to figure out who she belonged too. Long story short - we didn't find the owner. Brought her home and the next day called the city (her tags were rabies tags). They knew the dog and said that they pick her up every few weeks b/c someone finds her in an almost tragic predicament. Once a lady rescued her from the lake - b/c she had walked in and couldn't get out. There are many more sad rescue stories like this - but thankfully she's been lucky thus far.

The city worker told me that he didn't want the owners to get the dog back b/c he's afraid the next call he gets will be to pick up her dead body off the road. Whenever the owner gets calls to come pick the dog up - she would always take days or weeks to finally come and retrieve her. It was apparent that they weren't concerned for the dog. After speaking to the city worker - David and I decided, that now this dog would become ours. He said that legally we had to keep her for 30 days for her to become ours. He told me that if we had children (which we do) that he didn't recommend us keeping her b/c everyone who has rescued her she has tried to bite. Well - being the animal lover that I am, I was immediately in her face loving on her and kissing her. When he told me about the biting, I walked over and picked her up and put her face to mine. He said "I can't believe that dog is letting you do that. She must feel safe - or feel something different about you."

The dog "muffy" (named by Will when we first saw her) is about 12-15 years old, has a cataract on one eye and another forming on the other eye. She doesn't hear or see well. She continually walks in a circle until she 'lands'. We've had her going on 6 weeks now. I think it's nearing the end of her time - I think. When we first rescued her - her tail was tucked and she was skiddish. After a few days, she got a skip in her walk and her tail raised. Now - she's starting to have bad days. This morning, I thought it was her time, but then this afternoon - the skip was back. We know we don't have long w/muffy - but we are so thankful to been given this time w/her and to have saved her from another tragic rescue.

No comments: